Saturday, May 8, 2010

Some random bird-watching at Chinese garden and at home

Male olive-backed sunbird on my mum's plant. They are often mistaken as humming birds as they can hover a bit and has the curved beak that is used to get nectar from flowers. But there are no humming birds recorded in Singapore. So the sunbird are the Singapore version of the humming bird. They are rather common in urban parks. The male sunbird has a distinctive blue patch at the chest area, whereas the females do not have.

Collared kingfisher at jurong lake park. I've been there about 5-6times, and most of the times I will see a pair of them. So most probably they are residing in the area!
A pair of pacific swallows on the lamp post, it was my first and only time I've seen them resting.
Finally I've gotten a shot of the asian koel! And there were a pair of them!!! They are nest parasites; they will lay eggs in crow's nest and expect the crow to look after their youngs. They have red eyes and greenish beak and make the loud "Ko-el" calls at dawn and dusk!
There is also a house crow nest near my house! The photos show one with the crow, the other without. Nowadays I did not see the crows nesting, so probably a failed nesting attempt!
Yellow-vented bulbul doing the rain dance in school. They were flying into mid-air then suddenly fly down. Or they flew to the window then back to the railings. Not too sure what they are doing though.
Pink-necked green pigeons spotted in school and at chinese garden. The males have a distinctive orange patch on their chests. They really look like they come out from the movie 'Avatar' with their colourful colours~
I have also seen the black-naped oriole~~ I guess it was a juvenile as its beak is black instead of the usual bright orange and the plumage seems like it is not fully developed yet. This means that they are indeed reproducing!!! :D
Lastly, I will end off with some beautiful scenery photos~~

No comments:

Post a Comment