Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Chinese Garden Bird-watching 11 May 10

Went there after my tuition with my bino and camera~ Coz my tuition place is juz opp the jurong lake park. While walking along the running track, I saw the monitor lizard. Considered juvenile as it is rather small in size. Saw another one on my way back, not too sure if it was the same 1.
Simpoh air (Dillenia suffruticosa) fruit. Most of the seeds were eaten. This is one of the key stone species as it provide food for the birds all year round. The flower is pollinated by carpenter bees and the seeds can be dispersed by a number of birds like yellow-vented bulbul. One seed with red flesh can be seen in the third photo.
Olive-backed sunbird (Nectarina jugularis) is seen throughout the trail. They survive on nectar and extract the nectar using their long decurved beak. The male has a distinct blue patch on its chest. The 1st photo showed the male and the subsequent ones were the female.
Collared kingfisher!!! (Halcyon chloris) They are the most common kingfisher in Singapore as they have a wide range of food to feed on. (Fishes, insects, crustaceans...)
More information can be found here.
Black-naped oriole (Oriolus chinensis). Another common urban bird in Singapore. It is widely known as the yellow bird or "Huang ying". It has the black robber mask (black-naped) and orange beak. It can call its own name! "O-ri-ole"~~
I also saw the common tailorbird and common iora! But they were too quick for me to take a shot. Another bird i was unable to identify. It was hopping on the ground and very well-camouflaged with the surroundings until I am unable to find it from the photos I've taken or probably was because of my bad photography skills. Looks like a chick, it has streaks around its head and chest area.
As usual, I will end off with some scenery photos. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment